How to reduce saggy skin when trying to lose weight
Saggy skin is a phenomenon that comes with age, and your heredity has a minor influence. As you get older, your body loses collagen and elastin (fibers that make up the skin’s supporting structure), which are responsible for making your skin firm and young. Moreover, our muscles deteriorate with age as well, which contributes to skin sagging.
Saggy skin is slowly becoming a persistent issue for people who want to lose weight. In this blog post, I will explain how you can reduce your skin from sagging to some degree and achieve your weight loss goal.
Before I start advising on reducing skin sagging while losing weight, it’s useful to go over some basics.
Our skin is our largest organ. It covers our entire body, and it serves as a protective shield against heat, light, injury, and infection. The skin also stores water and fat.
Patricia Ferris, a dermatologist, explained, “Collagen and elastin are fibers that make up the supporting structure of the skin. Collagen gives skin its firmness, while elastin keeps skin tight. Both of these fibers are plentiful in young skin and start to break down with natural aging and as a result of sun exposure. “
How can you reduce saggy skin while trying to lose weight
Although we can’t stop aging, we can develop a bunch of healthy habits to slow down the skin sagging.
Here are some useful tips to reduce skin sagging when trying to lose weight:
- Approach your weight loss gradually and avoid losing a significant amount of weight in a short period. Especially avoid weight loss supplements.
- Incorporate regular resistance exercise training (preferably with weights) into your life.
- Try Pilates, as this training method will tighten and strengthen your body’s core, glutes, legs, and arms.
- Make sure to get enough sleep each night, so you feel rested in the morning.
- Drink plenty of water to hydrate your skin and flush out your toxins.
- Pay attention to what you eat and follow your personalised nutritional plan.
- Be careful with cardio. A proper personalised weight loss exercise programme consists of a systematic balance between cardio and resistance training.
To reduce skin sagging in general, we need to be active and keep using our muscles daily.
When trying to lose weight, aim at a healthy weight/fat loss, no more than 1 kg per week. Introduce a balance between cardio and resistance weight training into your routine. Let your weight loss plan be entirely personalised to you. Lastly, don’t neglect the basics, like sleep and hydration.
Keep moving and keep being active,
Until next week,
Damir Pervan, Founder and CEO of TrainChampion | Online weight loss platform